Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Paragraphs and Postcards!

Assignments #2 and #3 were connected in a fun way.  In Assignment #2, we learned how to write powerful paragraphs that had unique sentence starters, so that all five sentences were different and interesting to read.  When you read the following samples, notice all the tricks and tools that we learned in Assignment #1!  The topic of our paragraphs was a made-up land, created by spelling a REAL place BACKWARDS!  We got to create this place in our imaginations and describe it in great detail.

Then, the next week, Assignment #3 was to write a postcard from the place we created in Assignment #2!  Would we have a pleasant or unpleasant journey?  It was fun to make connections from the facts we presented in our paragraph to the imaginative vacation we took to that place.

Here are some awesome samples!

Emor, by Sabrina (4th grade)

     Emor is the beautiful warm land of leaves!  When people drive, all they can see is different leaves on the windows of their car.  It always seems like it's fall.  The mountains appear to be made of leaves!  Because there are so many leaves, the children there love to hide in the piles on the sidewalks.  Whenever children play on the playgrounds, it looks like they are playing on equipment made of leaves!  If you love crunching on leaves and playing around, then Emor is the place for you.

Dear Mrs. Huff,

     I had a crazy arrival to Emor!  I landed at 3:00 AM, so I am super cranky!  I also couldn't see the view while I was on the airplane, because all of the windows were covered with leaves!  During the twenty-four hour plane ride, I was sitting next to a snoring person!

     After I got out of the airport, I was covered in leaves!  But it turned out that I got to make jewelry out of them.  Then I went to a haunted hotel that was made out of leaves, and I saw a leaf ghost at night!  Anyway, in the morning, I joined a Leafman making contest.  (I got 1st place!)  

     I wish you were here.  We could write stories about leaves, and poems too!

                              Your friend, Sabrina


Anihc, by Caren (5th grade)

     Anihc is a magical little island, 365 days a year!  It is splashed with many colors, which attracts lots of people.  All year long, people play games, sports, and crafts along the soft sandy beaches of Anihc.  The children don't have electronics because they are so far out to sea.   Anyone who loves warm sunny beaches and no access to electronics, Anihc is the vacation destination for you!

Dear Mom,

      I had a lovely flight to Anihc this morning, even though it was 5:30 AM!

     Right when we landed and I stepped out of the door, I was greeted with a nice warm breeze in my face that made me smile.  Then, everyone was served with a wonderful breakfast with a fancy rose in a first-class restaurant.

     After breakfast, I called a taxi to pick me up and drive me to the hotel.  After I checked in, I was overly pleased because it looked gorgeous; it had a large living/family too with a full kitchen, three large bedrooms and bathrooms, and a large window showing the bright blue ocean.

     As I went to the beach, a Smoothie Making Class caught my eye, so I attended it.  At the class, I chose to make a coconut smoothie to remind me of Cassia.  I soon thought it was too sweet, and decided to put it aside so I could enjoy it later.  Afterwards, I chose a spot to watched the calming sea and the little kids playing.  I noticed that the kids weren't playing any video games.  I asked a waiter about this, and he even asked me what a plane was!  I guess they don't know anything about electronics here.

     Well, I enjoyed my stay here!  I hope we can come here as a family for our next vacation!

                          Love, Caren


Austin (5th grade) went above and beyond with Assignment #2!  He made a Tourist Brochure!  My scanner can not do his work justice, but I hope you enjoy what you see here.  He put in amazing effort and wrote a beautiful paragraph!



     The "Budding Authors and Artists" class also got to make up creative lands by spelling real places backwards.  Their assignment was to simply write one paragraph about their place.  Their focus was that paragraphs are all about ONE topic, and it is important to stay on topic.    With helpful sentence starters, these young students are learning how to vary their sentence patterns and write interesting sentences that form paragraphs!  And don't forget introduction and conclusion sentences, too!

     I love Charlize's (2nd grade) paragraph, and her art, too!  Would you like to take a vacation here?


No comments:

Post a Comment