Friday, August 5, 2022

Poetry Workshop

    This week, I ran a Poetry workshop immediately following our "Awesome Authors and Artists" workshop.  The students showed such perseverance and creativity!  Each day, we focused on a new poetic tool, as you will see below.  The students were asked to practice the concept, and then sprinkle it into their poems.  They did a fantastic job!  Enjoy these samples!

End Line Rhyme (in the form of riddle poems)

By Maeve (6th grade)

You go in me every summer,

And if you don't get to, it's quite a bummer.

You take your goggles out of a bin,

And splish and splash as you jump in.

What is this?


Answer: a Swimming Pool


By Marissa (8th grade)

This is a fast thing that goes zip,

Fast thinking to figure out you might trip.

Fast when you sit, fast when you stand,

Use both your feet for fast will you land.

What is this?


Answer: A zip line


 Onomatopoeia

The Bee, by Kyle (8th grade)

Buzz, Sting, Ouch!

Black and yellow stripes

And an ice pouch

For the Swelling.

One sting.

One try.

Attack them!

Sting..... Then die!


Writing, by Allison (6th grade)

clip

    clip

scribble

    scratch-

words flowing from

the tip of the pen

                (or pencil)

scritch

    scritch

scribble

    scratch

paper:

    b  l  a  n  k

again-

crumple

    crumple

        r           m             l

c            u             p            e

toss

    thump

plop-

    another

        sheet

wasted.


Alliteration

Does the Wind Whisper? by Vivian (6th grade)

Does the wind whisper,

A breeze its silent breath?

Or is the wind fiercer,

Tearing every step?

Every rustle, ruffle, quiet roar,

Is it the wind or something more?


The Song of Sorrow, by AnaRose (8th grade)

Rain that rattles against the frame

The clouds that clutter around my brain

The tears of terror blur my sight

The song of sorrow stalks the night

I muse th emusic one last time

For now I am surely past my time.




Repetition 

Art, by Nicolyn (8th grade)

Art puts your thoughts to the paper

If you didn't finish now, you can work on it later.

Art can use pens,

Art can use pencils.

Art can use spray paint and sparkily stencils.

Art is super fun and cool,

I wish we did more of it in school.


Try everything!

My Life, by Penelope (8th grade)

All my life, I've loved every moment

Even when I'm miserable it's never my opponent.

At night I dream dream dream and

When I wake up, I make it happen.

I will make the most of it all 'til I'm a ghost

And keep going when it blackens.

Swish, swoosh, the joys of life come and go,

Oh my lovely, large life.  I love you so!



No comments:

Post a Comment