Monday, April 13, 2015

Onomatopoeia Poetry

Onomatopoeia is one of my favorite poetic tools to teach.  What does this big, long word mean?
Onomatopoeia is when words SOUND like their meaning.  BOOM!  SPLASH!  KNOCK KNOCK!  All onomatopoetic words make poetry sound more interesting, and invite the reader to truly HEAR what is going on.

The "Budding Authors and Artists" (grades 1-2) wrote simple Fill-in-the-Blank poems, focusing on the topic of Spring and the sounds we hear this time of year.  They could also just choose wonderful, vivid verbs that did not focus on sound.  Enjoy these samples!

by Justin (1st grade)


by Rayne (2nd grade)


     My older students were also introduced to the concept of onomatopoeia, but were not given a fill-in-the-blank project.  Instead, they brainstormed noisy poetry topics on the board, and helped each other map out onomatopoetic words that went with their topics.  The students came up with amazing poems and it was hard to pick just a few.  Enjoy these samples!

     Welcome to the Park, by Charlotte (4th grade)

Though New York is a beautiful city,
I do not want to live there
because of the hustle-bustle and
pollution in the air.
Honks and bonks of busy people
do not attract my attention,
and when you cross the streets there,
do so with caution.

But, inside the peaceful parks,
with chirp-chirps and crunchy leaves,
I can finally settle down
and have a smile on my face if I don't leave.
I will hear the laughter of children 
and skitter of squirrels in the parks
of New York City.

Maybe I do wish I lived there.



Winter, by Morgan (4th grade)
The winter winds howl,
whoosh and whirl throughout the air
while snow is falling everywhere
Skiiers come out as they whoosh down the hill
leaving a slight chill.
Sledders squeal "Wheeee!"
as they feel so free.
Slurping hot cocoa is a delight
While sitting by the crackling fire at night. 




April Showers Bring May Flowers, by Medha (5th grade)
Spring is here, so very dear
April showers, so very near
Pitter-patter, down on the ground
Drip-drop, heavy in sound.
May blossoms, Pop!  Sprout!  Bloom!
Wonderful colors, happy hues.
Flowers are cute, rain drops have power,
But April showers always bring May flowers.



Mr. Soccer Field, by Mathis (5th grade)
Mr. Soccer Field is a small piece of grass,
But when the ball goes whoosh
And the whistle goes Tweet,
He is extremely LOUD.
BOOM goes the post 
in its little coast.
BAM goes the last foot on the ball.


The Goal, by Francesca (5th grade)
Stomp!  I'm running down the field.
Tap!  I dribble, I do not yield.
Phew!  I'm at the goal about to shoot.
Wack!  I'm trying not to stoop.
Whoosh!  My shot goes through the air.
Swoop!  It brushes past her dark brown hair.
Scrape!  The ball skims her caramel skin.
Roar!  The crowd cheers because it's going in!
AND WE WIN!

2 comments: