Friday, August 5, 2022

Exploring "Voice"- Becoming a Hotel Critic for a Day!

     Voice is so important in writing!  Many young authors have a natural voice, or at least a preferred one when assigned to pick, as they write their stories.  The challenge is to push them out of their comfort zone to use a voice that might not be one they prefer, or might not even match the assignment!

    To accomplish this challenge, the students drew names of places out of a bag.  These varied from everywhere from...

    -  A resort in Bora Bora

    - A rickety old house boat on Lake Shasta

    - A small hotel in the middle of Arkansas

    - A cramped NYC hotel room

    - Even an igloo in Alaska!

    Then, they drew "voices," or moods from the bag.  These varied from...

    - Jubilant

    - Snooty

    - Grumpy

    - Grateful

    - And more!

    When the students figured out where they were going, they had to pretend to be critics, and write a critique of the hotel, its grounds, the restaurants, and the people serving there.  This led to quite a few laughs, especially when moods didn't match up with locations!  (Who could be bored on an Alaskan cruise?!)

    Enjoy these samples!

A Critique of An Alaskan Igloo

By Marissa, the Grateful Critic (8th grade)


I got invited to an Alaskan igloo in winter by my boss Ms.Huff, and it was the best trip I've ever taken.

After I came to from fainting from the cold, I saw a wonderful blanket of icy snow and a pretty little storm of ice that only shattered a little bit of my shoes. There was even a fishing hole outside!

    I walked inside and it was ginormous! Probably about the size of a family tent! The igloo was incredibly round and there was even a block removed for a window with refreshing, cold air. I did see a polar bear rug which I thought was illegal, but no matter.

And for food it was really something incredible. First of all, Igot to fish all by myself, which promotes independence. I didn’t have a fire, which meant I actually got to try things raw!! Yay! I tried some carp, blobfish, pufferfish and some lionfish! I only threw up ten times!


On my last day, this charming guy named Riuhgsflkjgr made me a fire! It was so warm!!! I tried to start a conversation with him but he only grunted. It was so cool!!!


To top it all off, the part I was in has 67 days of darkness in the year!!! It was so much fun to stumble around blindly when I didn't have my lamp!


I would absolutely recommend this place from the freezing ice to the black darkness. It was an amazing and wonderful experience.


A Stay in a Small Hotel Suite, NYC

Critic: Vivian (6th grade), The Grumpy Critic

My editor had sent me on an “inspiring” mission to go to “busy, active, and friendly” NYC. Unfortunately, my editor misjudged, and my review is perhaps not extremely positive. The taxi I hailed was so very delightful, especially with the loud radio blaring music. He pulled up at a parking lot, where he sent me on my way, telling me, “Only ‘bout a minute’s walk.” Indeed, he was quite wrong. Ten minutes later, I was still walking. At last I rounded a corner and my eyes were set upon a small hotel. 

I tapped open my iPhone and glanced at the hotel website. It showed a glinting glass terrace lighted by the rosy colors of dawn, and a sparkling lobby with marble pillars. I stepped into the lobby, where it was not-so-nearly matching the website. The marble was actually painted stone, and dust littered the “shining and patterned” floor. At the counter, a man wearing a shirt that read “Let’s Go NY” was bickering with the assistant, whose face morphed into a tomato-red color. I passed them on the way to a free counter, where, after I checked in, a key was very politely shoved in my face. I observed the key, which was very simple and totally not easy to replicate. It was a very elaborate iron cylinder with two pegs and one indent. And there was no key card, as there were in several other hotels that I have visited. The door creaked open, squeaking on its rusty hinges. Quite interesting, since I had clearly recalled that a video of the rooms posted on the website proudly stated that their doors were soundless. Very true, website. Very true. I crossed into the room, and fainted in awe. Totally.

It was quite underwhelming. I dropped my teal suitcase on the wood floor in the little space that was not covered. I opened my closet, which I quickly filled with my clothes. Then, I spread my belongings out on a “generously provided” tiny shelf. I then explored the cramped bathroom, which was so very nicely equipped with the tiniest shower I’d ever seen. And it was extremely convenient that there was no  room service. I stored my suitcase under my pitifully-sized bed. The sheets were thin, and the blanket was heavy. I observed the blanket. It was so clean that I found lint and bits of dust on it. It was dusk outside by then, the first stars twinkling, appearing silently, and I slipped into pajamas and under the covers. It turns out I was right, it was so comfortable that I was kept awake all night, tossing and turning. 

The next morning, I observed the map on my iPhone, searching for suitable restaurants. Guess what? I didn’t find any within walking distance! There weren’t many options, and I thought that NYC had many restaurants. I settled for a small Ramen Shop, for I highly disliked taking a taxi. Ah, yes. Polluted air is so good for one’s lungs! After a short walk of five miles, I arrived at a dilapidated shack with an uncomplimentary neon sign. I glanced again at the maps. What do New Yorkers think? This restaurant was rated 4.8 stars. I entered. A smiling woman greeted me, welcoming me into her grand restaurant. Very grand, especially since it was the size of my bedroom at home. 

The food was alright, but it was not so good that people would come rushing in and give it 5 stars. After leaving the shack, I went to Times Square, which clearly earns the #1 location if one enjoys: too many people, pollution, blinding lights, and dirty alleyways. 

        I was quite disappointed by the staff, as well as the lack of room service, and the amazing novelty of an old, battered phone. Impressive. Very. So impressive that I ranked it the lowest on my list of hotels. I barely saw any staff aside from the attendants, and there were signs saying WE’RE HIRING, implying that they needed workers to help clean their very pristine beds. I made a call only once, and the phone turned out to be in need of repair. I would recommend this hotel to people who are either completely out of their minds, or wanting to experience one of the worst hotels ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment