Monday, November 8, 2021

Story Writing: A Day in the Life with My Backwards Animal

 After the "Awesome" class completed their paragraphs and research papers on their backwards animal, it was time to write a creative story.  The theme was "The Day I Met My Animal."  The students story mapped the beginning, middle, and end to their day.  They worked on setting, and a clear story line with a fabulous ending.  Would their animal become their pet?  Would it return to the wild where it came from?  Enjoy these samples across the grades.  And don't forget to quiz yourself on the name of the animal forwards!


These samples are from the same students whose research papers or paragraphs are on the blog posts before this, so that you may see how the students applied their factual writing components to their creative story!

The Day I Tamed an Effarig

by Mark (4th grade)

It was very early in the morning and I was relaxing at the highest ski resort in the Alps. It was the type of vacation which gets boring very quickly, so I decided to climb higher and explore.

After about three minutes of toilsome climbing, the landscape started getting very desolate, and I would have turned back had I not heard a loud chomping noise.

Curious, I proceeded towards the noise, and suddenly I saw a hideous bird with a ferocious look on its face. It was mostly brown, with a white head and white feathers at the tips of its wings. It was devouring a young mountain goat.

Upon seeing me, the bird attacked. Instinctively, I fought back with my bare hands. Landing a powerful blow on its beak, I made the bird squeal, announcing my victory.

The poor bird seemed upset and in pain, so I comforted it and we soon befriended each other.

When I returned to the ski resort, I asked a local tour guide about this remarkable bird. He said it was an Effarig, the most dangerous bird in the world!



My First Encounter with an Arboc

by Anna (5th grade)

     One warm day, I was hiking in the marshy forest of Flabberswamp. I felt a little hungry, so I opened up my backpack and took out a little jar of jelly beans. For some reason, there were quite a few chilli pepper ones. How strange!


     I smelled a hint of spicy food in the air, and sniffed in confusion. How come I smelled spicy food in the middle of a muddy forest? I preferred sweet food to spicy, and I was sure I didn’t bring any spicy food. 


     Suddenly, I heard a wet squelch in the mud. I stopped, feeling a little scared. I knew that sound was not from my boots. 


     I yawned drowsily, but stopped when I realized that I didn’t feel sleepy at all a minute ago. Abruptly, a shadow loomed over me. My heart thumped fast against my rib cage. What was happening? 


     An enormous Arboc towered over me, its dark amber eyes looking rather gleeful. Was it going to eat me? I shuddered and backed away slowly. While I didn’t know anything about the Arboc except that it was related to cobras, I was quite sure that it was ferocious. The snake followed me with a (suspiciously) friendly look in its eyes. I stopped, my blood running cold. 


     The arboc slowly moved towards my jar of jelly beans, which dropped to the ground with a thud. The arboc bent down and vacuumed up the red, spicy chilli pepper jelly beans with a happy smile. I started to relax. Maybe this was a friendly creature after all! The arboc smiled warmly at me and disappeared into the nearby bush.


     The next morning, I drove to the nearby grocery store and bought a big jar of jelly beans. I painstakingly picked out all the chilli pepper treats, and put them in a covered container. Then, I drove back to Flabberswamp Forest. 


     I unscrewed the jar and put it down on a fallen tree’s log. A couple seconds later, an arboc popped up beside me and gave me a toothy grin. It devoured all the candy and smiled in gratitude at me. I stroked its slightly cold scales and smiled back. What an amazing creature I had stumbled upon!



A Day with the Tibbar, by Charlize (5th grade)


        Have you ever seen a tibbar? I bet you haven't! When I met one, it was a very exciting experience. It all started on a Saturday morning...


        In the morning, I woke up and got ready for my first day of going into the forest to meet animals. I was excited, because they said on the news that there was one animal in particular that would appear in "Animal Forest:" The Tibbar! So that being said, I was going to meet a new animal!


        As my mom drove me to "Animal Forest," I was unsure because I didn't know what to expect from the place. Would I find the tibbar? Would I get lost? I shoved those thoughts out of my head, and tried to think of something else. I thought about meeting the tibbar, and other animals. That made me happy and excited for my journey!


        We finally stopped driving. I got out of the car and bid good-bye to my mother. Then, as I was walking towards the forest, I saw a baby panda-like animal toddle out of a bush!  At first,  I didn't recognize it, but then, I realized it was the tibbar!  I held my hand out and it came up to me and snuggled me.  I knew that it was going to be my best friend forever!


        Suddenly, the tibbar summoned some burgers and we ate them together.  We talked about the forest and the city in comparison.  Then, it invited me to live with it.  Of course I said yes, but only if I could see my family for a few holidays, and weeks for a time.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment