Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Autumn Riddle Poetry!

 I remember hating poetry as a student.  It took one really special teacher to make it fun, and show me that, in poetry, nothing can truly be "wrong."  I try to be that one teacher to my students, if they haven't already yet had that experience!


We had a fabulous lesson learning rhyme scheme and rhythm through syllable counts.  Riddle Poems are a great way to do this.  The object of a riddle poem is to create a four-line poem in AABB format, each line giving a little clue to what the answer is.  Our them was "anything autumn." The students did a fabulous job with these poems!  Here are some for your entertainment!


I walk on a dark scary night.
Big houses give me a fright.
I run on a sidewalk littered with sweets.
Our bags are filled with so many treats.
What night is this?


Answer: Halloween!
By Amar (4th grade)



Dark pointy hat, yell "Trick or Treat!"
Buckets of candy, it's so sweet.
Black as a witch's robe, it's midnight.
All the scary costumers are giving me a fright!
When is this?


Answer: Halloween Night!
By Liberty (5th grade)




This thing is orange and bright.
Inside there is a small light.
Some people stabbed me with knives.
Which made me lose my older life.
What am I?



Answer: A Jack-o-Lantern
By Andy (5th grade)




Red and orange and yellow and green,
Apples that drop, the best you've ever seen.
Rain drops falling during your run,
The beautiful scenery sparkling in the sun.
What am I?




Answer: Autumn views
By Aadya (6th grade)




Walking outside at the dead of night
People scream 'cause they're full of fright.
Made up of bones, arms, legs, and head.
It's not a zombie, as I just said.
What is it?




Answer: A skeleton
By Anay (5th grade)








No comments:

Post a Comment