Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Adventure Stories

After great paragraph writing, the students were ready to move on to a special genre: Adventure Story Writing!  Both classes had different assignments.

The Juniors class spring boarded off of their Backwards Animal paragraphs, and wrote "A Day in the Life with" their animal.  These proved to be very entertaining!  I saw all kinds of adventures, from a trip to Disneyland to a sneaky attempt to keep their discovered animal as a secret pet.  Some stories were scary, some sweet, and all very adventurous!

Here is Luka's (4th grade):

The Weirdest Day of My Life

     It was 11:59 PM.  My alarm clock went off and instead of saying the time, it read "Beware."

     At 12:00 AM, a portal sucked me up and took me to this place.  I saw a sign saying, "Welcome to Survival Land."  Then I saw this thing.  I came up to it and asked its name.  "Effarig!" it said.  Then it tried to kill me!  I ran and ran and ran.  You don't want to know what happened next.

     It turned me into a lot of fur and stuck it on to himself.  (Teacher interjection here: Luka's Effarig is a bald creature because its mother bites the fur off of it as a baby!)  It transported me to the bottom of the deep, dark, blue ocean!

     Nobody saw me for years because it transported me to an under water mansion!  Then the portal sucked me up and took me back to my house.

      I say that this is the weirdest day of my life!

The Seniors class had a different assignment.  They were assigned the traditional "What I Did on my Summer Vacation" story... with a twist of adventure.  At some point in their story map, they were to change their true story into something completely adventurous, crazy, or strange that happened.  From this map, they would write a story with a clear beginning, middle, and end.

George (5th grade) wrote a story with an ending that made me laugh.  Can you just picture his family not even realizing his adventure occurred?!


Jet Skiing

We got to Crete  on a small 25 person plane and went to a 5 star hotel. On the last day, I went jet skiing on a very bumpy ocean. It was super fun!! Let me tell you what happened.

I hopped on the jet ski. I got out of the harbor and floated into the center of the bay. I zoomed around the bay at 70 km per hour. I explored a cavern and went back out.

I was riding around fast, but the jet ski suddenly jerked to a stop. Shockingly, tentacles wrapped around me and I plummeted into the ocean! I put on my emergency goggles. I saw Atlantis! I then saw a 2 foot round gold ball. I reached for it but I was still in the grasp of the huge octopus!

Luckily I found a dagger in my  pocket and cut off the tentacle holding me. I swam to the surface.

I found my family on the beach and they were all on lounge chairs. I yelled, "COME ON DIDN'T YOU NOTICE I WAS GONE!!!"

Arushi (6th grade) wrote a beautifully entertaining story.  Her use of descriptive words is absolutely fantastic!  While George wrote his story in the past tense, Arushi chose to use the present.  We talked about the benefits of both styles.  George is telling us a story that already happened; Arushi is taking us through her story as it occurs.

Hiking with Jetpacks

The sunset is always the best part of the Grand Tetons. The sun shines red and soft pink on the mountains. The lake is clear and still, perfect for seeing the gorgeous reflection of the mighty Teton Peaks.
    Because it’s morning, and not evening, I’m getting ready to go hiking with my dog. Sophia is such a cute maltese! She’s so confident in the wilderness that I take her everywhere I hike.
    This time I’m going to Jenny Lake. I plan to go up to Inspiration Point then climb down and have lunch at Jackson Lake Lodge. The lodge overlooks Jackson Lake, and they tell me I can see Trumpeter Swans and White Pelicans at the edge of the water.
    But today I don’t have time to stop and go bird-watching. I head down to the dock and catch the first ferry ride across the shining clear lake.
    Excitedly, my dog barks. I almost feel that I know what she’s saying. It sounds like, “Come on!” I tell myself that understanding animals is ridiculous. No way could that change now.
    “You come on,” I say.
    We go. I let Sophia guide me to the creek. It is actually more of a small river with enormous rapids.
    “Really, Sophia! You’re going to fall in!” I scold. Obediently, Sophia comes to my side and rubs my leg.j
    This time, I lead Sophia. We climb to the top of a big rock. There’s no path, but I see a moose with an unusual rear end. It turns around and I see a jet pack attached to its tail.
    “Follow me. I’ll be your ride.” The moose walks toward me.
    “What in the world?” I exclaim. This is getting strange. Still, the moose has some kind of magnet and I am being pulled in.
    “Get on!” The moose attempts to pat his back with his own antlers, but they get stuck to the jet pack.
    “Um, a little help here?”
    I go to the moose and free him, but as I am already next to the moose, whose name is Jet, I hop on.
    “Where’s Sophia?” I wonder.
    “She’s on Ben the Bison, having the time of her life.”
    I peek over my shoulder and see Sophia prancing around on Ben’s back, who looks half amused and half annoyed. I shake my head, get off, and buckle Sophia in.
    “Don’t fall off!” I warn.
    She does.
    Sophia starts barking at a marmot, then a pronghorn. The big-horn sheep come in a herd and surround us. An elk joins the party.
    I look nervously around me, then at Jet.
    “They’ve come to say goodbye and good-luck to you,” he reassures me, but it doesn’t help. Jet navigates his way through the animals to reach Sophia and put her back on Ben.
    “Really, Sophia!” I scold. “Stop falling off! And who made this awful Bison Seat?”
    One of the sheep sheepily steps forward and mumbles his apologies. Then he hands me the Bison Seat Deluxe.
    Thanking him, I strap it onto Ben and strap Sophia into it.
    “Thanks!” Sophia barks.
    “You’d better stop talking before we eat lunch,” I grumble, not even bothered by Sophia turning “human.”
    “We’re off!” Ben and Jet take off with Sophia and me clinging onto their backs. “Where do you want to go? Have you been to Yellowstone yet?”
    “No, we haven’t. Can you take us to all the sites in Yellowstone?” I yell.
    “Off we go!” Jet and Ben blast off at full speed.
    Chico and Mammoth Hot Springs have the despised odor of sulfur, but they are beautiful. Hovering above the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is amazing. We fly down to the river and wave at all the gaping tourists. And, if strolling on the boardwalk at Norris Basin is heavenly, flying above it is better. Old Faithful aimed pretty well because Ben almost got scalded. Still, we stayed high enough and I think I got the closest aerial shot of the sights with my camera. That must have been a strange sight for all to see.
    Jet and Ben let us parachute down to Jackson Lake Lodge, waving good-bye.
    “We’ll see you next time!” Sophia and I call.
    Who knows when that will be? 


Riley's (5th grade) story is entertaining and funny.... with an outstanding ending! 

The Bigfoot

by Riley
At first my Coppercreek experience was just fine, at least until the
night of Capture the Flag.  The teams were picked and it was my job to
hide the flag.  I ran in the dark forest until I found the perfect
hiding spot: A dark cave.

To be honest, I was scared.  I was in a giant dark cave in the middle
of a forest.  Scary.  I took a breath and went in.  I was trembling
with fear.  I stuck the flag deep in the ground.  I heard the game
start over the loud speaker.  "Game".  I started to say, but rocks
fell over the entrance and I was stuck.

Something moved.  I was horrified.  It was about 6'4" (my dad's
height).  "Hello?" I asked.  The thing stopped.  No answer.  I backed
away towards the rock wall.  I smashed the rocks away and light came
in.  The moon shined on the hairy creature before me.  BIGFOOT!!!

I ran past the border between sides and right to the other teams flag.
I pulled it out and ran back.  I won!  Everyone cheered.

We walked back to the cabin area.  When my counselor asked about the
flag so I told him about Bigfoot.  Of course he didn't believe me.

The next week was a thrill.  Because I found the flag I became a
legend.  After I said my goodbyes I got in a truck and we drove to the
airport.  The drive was boring until a tall hairy man waved to me.

Bigfoot??

The end 

No comments:

Post a Comment