Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Using Voice: Letters from Backwards Land

 This project was a favorite of my groups.  First, they spelled a vacation destination spot backwards.  (Mrs. Huff went to Adirolf, which is the opposite of its sunny, beach-filled destination and instead is a cold, festive land where it snows every night.). Then, they were to write a story map about an adventure they had in that land based on what their place was like.  Finally, and this is where the challenge came in, they drew moods/tones out of a bag.  The challenge was to write a story with that voice, even if it didn't match the story!

For example, Lucas (rising 6th grader) brainstormed a pretty negative story where he got hurt and had to go to the hospital.  He also got severely bitten by ants.  This would've been an easy story to write if he had drawn the mood "angry" or "grumpy."

But no!  Lucas drew:

JUBILANT.

I hope you enjoy his story, and the others you see here!

Dear Tyler,

    Of course, this letter will go to someone whom I've known for about a week.  I will tell you about this glorious trip to Ylati!

    First, I got off of the beautiful submarine, only to faint from the heat.  It was really great, because I've never fainted before, so it was a new experience.  I did have to spend four hours in the hospital, but the bed was comfy, and it was cool to see all the tools!  

    After I got out of the hospital, I got to gloriously walk to my hotel.  After a bit of relaxing, I got up to go to the hotel's famous restaurant, Taedelle.  I sat down and ordered tacos.  The tacos were really good, considering this is a breakfast-making country.  

    After the food, I went to my room and plopped on my comfy bed.  At 5:00 am, Big Ben woke me up.  The loud dings were so nice to awaken to!  After that, I walked to the Aardvark Zoo.  I saw many animals, such as the Jacketdeer, Dippo, and many more.  When I went to the tree section, I got bitten by a fire ant.  It was so cool to see how such a small insect could cause that much pain!  

    After that, I went back to the submarine.  Some may say that this was a bad trip, but this trip was actually awesome!  I wish you were here to experience this place with me.

                                                            From, Lucas


Jeff (rising 6th grader) TOTALLY ROCKED this voice!:

CHILL/SURFER

'Sup Dad,

    I'm writing to you cuz my trip is totally tubular!  I'm chilling in Iuauk.  The plane ride here was awesome; I almost died!  Then I went to my hotel, and it has a 0.0001 star review!  The hotel is called Donkey Letoh, dude.  (I think it's French.)

    Anyway, I got there at like 2:00 am, and I'm like, "Dude, where is my room key?"  And they were like, "The hotel isn't open until 7:30 am."  And I'm like, "Okay, Bruh."

    Then I went snow boarding, which is just like surfing, but instead of water, it's snow.  Then I made the most radical snowman ever, dude.  Tomorrow I'm going to climb Mt. Uglushhicula, the tallest mountain in the world.  It'll be epic!

    I wish you could be here, dude.

                                                                Love, Jef 

(Jeff removed an "f" from his name, because he thought it was a cool dude thing to do.)


Vivienne (rising 6th grader) ALSO got:

CHILL/SURFER.  Her postcard is righteous, dude!





No matter what happens in Aivy's (rising 8th grader) story, she remains so positive!  Can you find her tone in this well-written postcard story?







Natalie (rising 7th grader) chose to do a travel journal in a wonderful mood!


Dear Travel Journal,

Today, I arrived in Napaj!  All of the people here are very nice and welcoming. So far, my time here in Napaj has been quite wonderful. 

Unfortunately, this trip did not start off on a good note. My flight was scheduled for 9pm, but it got delayed many times, so it didn’t take off until 12pm. By the time I arrived, it was early in the morning. However, as soon as I stepped off the plane, I was greeted with a gentle spring breeze and a bright sunrise. As I was taking a taxi to my hotel, I looked out the window and caught my first view of the city. All around me, I could see old, fairytale-like buildings. The town is so cute and quaint! 

Once I had arrived at my hotel and seen the beautiful lands surrounding it, I immediately decided to have a picnic for breakfast. While I was eating, I could hear birds singing all around me. Then I noticed the sound of running water. I packed up and went to investigate. A little behind the hotel, I found a brook with a bridge built over it. I would have drawn a picture of it, but at that moment, it started to rain!  I rushed back to my cozy hotel room and watched the rain fall from my window. It was pouring cats and dogs! Fortunately, I had brought a book with me, so I read for the rest of the day.

Luckily for me, the rain has stopped today. Eager to go sightseeing, I visited an old castle this morning. The air was crisp and clean. Above me, there was a lovely rainbow. The castle itself was quite majestic. There were many towers and the bridge that led to it was huge. It was surrounded by curious red trees that have big white flowers all over them. They smelled strangely of honey and vanilla! 

Next, I took a quick ferry ride to get to a festival I wanted to go to. I enjoyed the spray of water and wind that I felt while holding tightly to the railing. When I got to the market, my breath was taken away. All around me I could see bright colors. There were flowers, food, and more in every imaginable shade. Also, I could hear singing, talking, and joyful shouting everywhere I went. I was so engrossed in exploring the markets that I lost track of time. By the time I was back in my room, it was well into the night!

Tomorrow, I plan on exploring the city some more and trying a popular desert known as ihsagaw. I love Napaj and am already thinking about my next trip here!


Love,

Natalie ♡


    



No comments:

Post a Comment