Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Personified Object

This was a fun assignment the children really got into! I asked them to personify themselves as any object. We brainstormed ideas, and got some great ones. Everything from sporting equipment to electronics to furniture to toys got mentioned! The students were asked to write about a moment in time from their life. I really pushed them to literally BECOME that object for a day, and they did a fabulous job. Here is Rebecca's (5th grade). I love how she ties it all together in the end. She is right back where she started.... but she has changed! Enjoy!

Life as a Barbie
by Rebecca (5th grade)

Uhhhh. I am a smooshed Barbie doll in this cramped toy box. I am next to a G.I. Joe toy and this smelly dinosaur. This is my first year at Emerald Hills Pre School.

Oh, the light! They're opening the box! The light feels so.... aahhhh...... This baby is squeezing my arm. You know, that's attached! Oh, wait.... not anymore. Aahhh, it fell off!

Now I am getting grabbed by a different girl. Awww, she's so cute. I think she is holding me close to her heart. No, wait, not the mouth! Aaahhhh! Mmm mmm mmmm....

Okay. Next child. Oh my gosh, I am so wet. Her mouth has no teeth. What does she think I am, a lollipop?!

Oh no, now it's a boy. He's really going to kill me! Why are there scissors in his hands?! He's only three years old. Where's the teacher?! Wait, ahhh!! He's cutting my hair off. My beautiful blonde locks. Gone!

Finally, a lady is picking me up. Oh, she's setting me on the counter. Yes! A mirror! Now I can see myself..... AHHHH!! Oh my, I'm ugly!

Great, now she's throwing me in that toy box again. Hello G.I. Joe. Good bye, cruel world!



I love this one by Savannah (3rd grade). How fun to personify yourself as a food! I like how she gives clues throughout her story about what she is, and her last sentence reveals the answer to her readers.

A Holiday Journey
By Savannah (3rd grade)

Yea, I'm being planted! I feel so, so loved. I am getting watered and the sun makes me so happy and warm. I am ready to grow!

I am not a seed anymore. I'm a potato, and now I'm a potato plant.

Great! I'm getting picked! Ow! You know, I have feet! Stop! Slap! These hands are the biggest hands ever!

Now I'm getting grated. Ow! They're- Ow!- flipping me- Ow!

Wah, wah, I'm about to be eaten! I am a latka on Hanukkah.


Kaitlin's (4th grade) cracked us all up! She is so creative, and funny too. Her 5th paragraph is my favorite part. And I love how she personifies herself, and the rest of the family!

A Tissue's Furious Life
By Kaitlin (4th grade)

I'm only a tissue in a tissue box, and lead a very happy ilfe. But I'm NOT looking forward to being at the top of the box!

My box is on a desk at school. Oh no! Here comes that weird woman!

Not again! She's coming for my parents! I can see her blowing her nose. What a horrible experience!

Oh no! It seems she caught some sort of disease.... what's it called? I don't remember..... Oh, right! She has a cold! What am I to do?!

I'm mad, sad, cold, and confused. Not again! She's starting for the last of my brothers and sisters. The worst part of my life is about to come!

Close my eyes.... Ew! Peyew! It smells horrible in here! Where am I? Open my eyes... and what do you know? Yuck! I'm in the garbage can surrounded by rubbish! No place for a dignified creature like me! There's rotten oranges, apple cores, smelly banana peels, a snail, five slugs, a greasy plastic bag, eight soda cans, and a wrinkled Writers' Workshop rough draft. But no friends, family, or other tissues! I feel like crying! Waaa, waaa, waaaaa......

Oh no! Here comes something! My life is about to end! I can feel that dirty raccoon's nose on me. It's chewing me up!

Gasp! Who's that?! I can't believe what I'm seeing! It's a miracle! Mom! Dad! Brother! Sister! I'm now the happiest tissue!

(Despite the "eewws" that Kaitlin's story got from her classmates, we all thought her story was quite creative and entertaining, and we were glad that she ended up with her family again, even if it was in the process of a raccoon's rummaging meal!)

1 comment: